Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Death, Part three



My most recent dance with death was a bit closer to the edge of mortality. While serving in the U.S. Army I got and extended tour of Iraq. While I was there I survived a suicide bomber, mortar attacks, and multiple IED's (roadside bombs) and I saw first hand that my friends did not.

Some how I managed to wander my way through yet another sequences of unfortunate events. The helicopter I was supposed to be on got shot down while landing in Baghdad. Someone put a land mine in the pothole I drove my vehicle through during our daily patrol. Missed me, and the RPG that didn't miss my vehicle was a dud. Thank you Gramma!

I saw first hand how fragile life is, how easily it can be taken or lost. This kind of death raises your appreciation for life to a whole new level. Every day is a blessed gift of procreation from the God and Goddess. Every heart beat, every breath, every breeze, every leaf. Try to live like that every once in a while. And if I die tomorrow... I bet you can't catch me...


Death really changes your life.

No comments: