Friday, September 5, 2008

..and the Devil appears!

The Herald begins every ritual with a public announcement. "Hear Ye, Hear Ye, all those who have gathered..." She ends her proclamation and rings the bell. Like Pavlov's lapdog, I begin to salivate all over myself, spiritually.

The rituals I participate in have a powerful effect on me because the experiences there very real.

The sweat lodge is a difficult ceremony, the heat, the discomfort, the heat, the dirty, cramped, dark, stuffy little hole in the ground. And the heat. All these things keep you in the moment, the experience keeps your mind focused on the issue at hand, the heat. This keeps it very real.

Those people tore down my lodge and smashed my Buffalo skull because it made their devil real. It validated them and their beliefs. That's why they insist I am a devil worshiper, that's why they NEED us Pagans to be. It makes their faith real.

But we do it too! We need to be validated to, don't we. But we don't have a devil to manifest or manufacture material proof of faith. So how do we do it?

I watch the blue jay's tease my dogs. often.

I watch the moon spin like a coin in the sky. even though it takes months.

I watch the river change the landscape. even though it takes years.

I watch the Humming birds, they come to the window when the feeders are empty.

I watch the leaves dance.

I do it by NOT seeing their Devil.

How do you do it?

2 comments:

Monsignor Scott Rassbach said...

I interact with the hierarchies of heaven and earth. I see the magic in the simplest task, and the simplest task in magic. I see Christ in those across from me, and sometimes I strike him, sometimes I help him.

But as I've grown, I strike less, and help more. I hope that when others see me, they see Christ as well. And when I am struck, I remember the times I've struck, or that he was struck, and I withhold my own blows.

WitchDoctorJoe said...

Wow, that's good. very deep lesson in there. Thank you.