Wednesday, December 3, 2008

King of Pentacles

This first thing that comes to mind when I look at this card is my Dad. Not my real father, that's another card. But my step Dad. I have posted about how I adopted my *step* daughter here and here.

There is a common theme of the step father being some horrible abusive alcoholic. In my life it has been quite the reverse. My real father was a drug addict and an alcoholic. He routinely chose drugs and booze over my mother and me.

My mother wanted more for herself and much more for me so she left him and a few years later met *my Dad*. This guy worked a full time job, a part time job, went to night school, worked odd jobs on the weekends, kept the lawn mowed, and still found time to teach me how to tie my shoes, aim when I pee and throw a football at me. He has always been there for me, still is.

This card is about the Pentacle, King of earth. That's my dad, the most grounded man on the planet. His foot in the bulls head represents his quiet strength. The armor reminding me that although he has always been a very happy and peaceful man, underneath those robes he's a warrior.

The growth of vegetation and the grapes are fitting, my father has always worked the lands of our family home and now works in wineries. Every Mabon, which they fittingly call *the crush* he sends me a few bottles of wine.

The earth is our foundation, and he laid the foundation for me. Teaching me how to be a good man, by example. I am sure if I had not had such a bad father, I would not appreciate my Dad as much as I do. I would not value fatherhood as much as I do, I would not value my children as much as I do.

My Dad, the King of Pentacles.

No comments: