Monday, January 26, 2009

Ten of Cups

The first time I pulled this card was just after my fathers funeral. He drank himself to death, he spent most of his life doing it and made a mess doing it, for the rest of us to clean up.

He had this picture on the wall, of a cabin in the woods beside a stream. His pipe dream of a perfect life, which he sat on his ass and stared at while he drank his life away.

The first time I pulled this card I was angry. My anger found the line drawn between them and that picture perfect life. My anger saw that background was a facade, the backdrop on the stage of life.

You do not achieve happiness, you happily achieve. It is a path, not a destination.

I am not my father, I don't drink. I don't stare at the picture perfect pipe dream, I am living the life. My ten of cups runith over...

This weekend I had the honor of assisting a fellow Coven member and friend with his Six of Swords, although his Tower was hit by a different catastrophe than mine, it was no less damaging and no less challenging.

It is how we handle these lightening strikes and the challenges they leave behind that make us who we are. And who we are not. The difference between drinking from the cup of life or a whiskey bottle.

1 comment:

Leon Basin said...

You have a very cool blog. I enjoyed reading your stuff. I will definitely be back.