Monday, August 31, 2009

The Hermit Reloaded

It was nearly a year ago that I first scryed this card, and posted two Blogs on my Rorschach impressions you can read here and here. So much has happened since then, changes mostly due to study and growth, I hope.

But study is a big part of it. During my time in the military I took college courses to pursue my undergraduate degree, then Iraq brought all that to a screeching halt, and I got out immediately after I came home.

I only needed three or four classes to finish my degree but just never got around to it. But then a few months back the Department of Veterans Affairs started up a Post 9/11 GI Bill for Combat Veterans like me. Tuition, books, its all covered. I have eleven years of free college, so suffice to say I'm back in school to finish my BA in Religious Studies then onward and upward, M.Div & PH.D

Lately I have become the Hermit, spending the majority of my days and evenings behind a pile of books. My first class is Bible 105 Introduction to the Old Testament, and everyone who knows me seems incredibly amused by the idea. But for the record I actually enjoy the academics of the bible so far. It's the "historical document" part I have a problem with, but I need the class, so pray for me.

When I'm not ploughing through the three textbooks and eighteen disk set of DVDs of the OT, I am enjoying a few new books that entertain the topic of Wicca, as a religion. No spells and Magic for love and money or candle colors and directions, but faith, based on perfect love and trust. Right now I am reading "Out of the Broom Closet" 50 True Stories of Witches Who Found and Embraced the Craft.

Click the Pic to go to Amazon.

It's a nice book of stories about people coming out. The first story is my favorite so far, "Yes, We Are Working Professionals" by Deb Goeschel. Thanks Deb, I love you Sis.

This book has been my buffer between the Bible class and the Scottish Rites Master Craftsmen Program. Sponsored by my Temple, the program includes a copy of our Scottish Rite Ritual, Monitor and Guide which is around nine hundred and fifty pages of pure unadulterated knowledge. It was here that I learned something more about the Hermit. Our 24th degree teaches its symbolism, the Lamp of Trismegistus, the Cloak of Appollonius and the Staff of the Patriarchs. Although Masonry teaches that these are the required possessions of the "Initiate".

I love the Tarot, but I don't use them as much for Divination as for Tracing Boards. When I first became a Mason over twelve years ago I began an obsession with the Old Tracing Boards, and have spent years collecting and studying them. The Waite-Rider Tarot deck was designed by A.E. Waite, and member of the Golden Dawn and other orders which sprang from Freemasonry, its all connected and thus a logical step forward in my interest and study.

Which was been very beneficial on my path, and started this Blog. See my first post.

I've learned so much about the symbolism of the Tarot, but what I've learned was not in any books about the Tarot. Funny how that works. I've been taking notes, scribbling ideas and stray thoughts. I develop them slowly and save them for some day when I feel ready to commit what is required, to my own Tracing Boards.

After all, that's what its all about, isn't it? Finding your way, and drawing a clever map like a Rebus to leave behind for others to follow, if they put in the work and figure it out. Right now is all about the work.

2 comments:

olekesbbq said...

HAHA! When did you sneek this post in? Another brilliant provocation!

Deb G said...

Thanks for the book mention ... And thanks for the compliment to my story! :))

BB
Deb Goeschel