Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Kangaroo Comments

So my Witchvox article went over very well, and I was pleasantly overwhelmed with the responses I received, which came in the form of well over a hundred and thirty emails and counting. I have made it a personal challenge to answer each one of them. So if you haven't heard from me, you will.

I knew I was going to receive opposition from some people, which I was prepared to receive and interpret as "constructive criticism" and food for thought. To be completely honest, I actually expected to receive it from RO, who always calls'em how he sees'em and often comes out of left field with a perspective that no ones considered, because he's crazy. Grin.

It turned out to be Frater POS and Jason Miller who strongly disagreed with me, and RO who argued in my defence, (you think you know people) thanks again bro. But in reading their responses I found that I was either honestly misinterpreted or purposely misquoted. Either way it was really funny to hear that I wrote/said/think that all traditions or system are based on lies and it's all a sham.

I'm a Freemason, I LOVE me a good system and feverishly disagree with everything they said "I said". Their comments were not applicable to the subject matter of my article. This later sparked an interesting thread of comments on my Facebook page, where I ended with the point of this post. Which it that there is a difference.


In the preface of Jason Miller's book "Protection and Reversal Magick" he writes...

"...the first thing I want to make clear is that this is a book on Witchcraft, not Wicca. Though many use the terms interchangeably, witchcraft embraces a much wider spectrum than just Wicca, which can be seen as a particular type of religious witchcraft..."

Agreed.

I wrote about a religious form of Witchcraft, where the craftwork is a religious activity. I write about being a Priest and I write about being a Chaplain, not about Ceremonial Magic and not about being a Magician.

You guys use a "system of magic", you train and perform "Ceremonial Magic". You cast spells, create thought forms and perform acts of magic to achieve a desire result. You invoke spirits, and with my blessings, you perform the Great Work, and much more.

I worship a God and Goddess, whom I pray to. I even have a system used to perform religious ceremonies, and yesterday I performed "Last Rights" on a dying seventy year old women in the hospital and helped her family prepare themselves for what is soon to come.

So although we share so much in common speculatively, we clearly have our differences when it comes to applications, which really puts all of this in proper perspective for me. I hope it clears things up for you.

Blessed Be.

5 comments:

Jason Miller, said...

I look back and honestly did miss the specificity of reference and took it to mean magick in totality.

I will post a mme culpa on my own blog tomorrow as soon as the twins allow it.

I also totally missed RO's chiming in.

Be well my friend.

Frater POS said...

Good enough by my. Apologies for misinterpreting.

POS Note: I always react to being mislead, the rhetorical style of this one likely did me in given my personality.

FWIW Writing note: While the rhetorical style was used for a purpose and I understand why you used it, misleading your reader with the kangaroo story, even with a point, is a dangerous practice for a writer. Your readers will begin looking for the 'trick' in what you say and that can be problematic. You have a lot of good things to say, no need to use such tools.

WitchDoctorJoe said...

Apologies accepted guys.

Hahaha that's an "interesting" opinion Robert. Wisdom that no doubt has been gleaned from your vast literary experience...

But my readers "get it", my readers LOVED it, and my readers trust me.

Please stop posting on my blog.

Frater POS said...

Actually no but in my desire to write in years past, I read such advice and thought I'd pass it along.

I wondered when you'd end the friendship, as I've seen this pattern about four or five times in the year or so that I've known you.

I am sorry that you've ended it as I do respect your work but it was expected.

I wish you and Claudia the best and good luck with the Department of Corrections and all that. I hope it works.

You'll see no more comments from me here as you request.

WitchDoctorJoe said...

Haha yeah there is definitely a pattern. I have a pattern of being patient and kind with difficult or challenging people, those people have a pattern of mistaking my kindness for weakness and going to far, I also have a pattern of eliminating the negative influences and unnecessary drama those people create in my life. I often consider these patterns and realize how much I have befitted from them, and so they remain patterns I intend to continue.

Blessed Be