Friday, November 13, 2009

School Daze

School has been a great challenge, I say great because I am doing quite well at the moment. I've been dreading the "Evangilism 101" class even more than my Bible class, which I passed!

So far I scored well on my first two exams 100% and a 96%. But my greatest success was my written testimony assignment. I had to write a paper on 1. My life before God, 2. the circumstances surrounding my coming to God and 3. My life since then.

Well this kinda poses a problem for a militant Pagan like myself. In all fairness they did offer an alternative writing assignment for non-Christians, write a paper about why your not a Christian. The assignment does include an insistence that you WILL be graded fairly.

Ummmm...no I don't think so.

I had a problem with the whole thing. I had a hard time believing I would be graded fairly and I had a hard time with the idea of writing a false paper to get the grade I needed, which I am very capable of doing.

So I talk to my wife, my friends and of course my Mommy, and they all agreed. Tell them what they want to hear and pass the class, which I new I had to do. But it REALLY bugged me. And I put off doing the assignment until the very last minute of the very last day.

I once told someone that I have never been a "technically" kind of guy, instead I tend to round life off the closest whole number. But being technical can have some advantages! I managed to answer the questions in the writing assignment honestly, while not actually lying or being dishonest. This is a portion of my assignment about the circumstances surrounding my experiencing "God"

"I served my country with ten years of active duty, during which I was deployed to several countries. My first overseas deployment was to Sinai, Egypt for a six month peacekeeping mission. During my time there I was able to visit many amazing, historical and religiously significant sites such as the Great Pyramids, Petra and the Holy Land. But it was my journey to the top of Mount Sinai that changed my life. I was in an Infantry Unit, well trained and in top physical condition, yet the path was difficult and I wanted to quit several times. But each time I stalled to catch my breath, I felt compelled by an overwhelming urge, I felt myself being called to the top, there was something there I needed to see. What I saw changed my life forever. My first view of the Glory of God’s labor was so emotionally overwhelming that I was brought to my knees. It was there at the door of the Moses Chapel that I knelt in prayer to the Father of Christ for the first time in my life."


Every word of it is true! I received a 96% on the assignment, apparently the truth can be incredibly subjective.

This is a picture I found inline, it is the Moses Chapel at the top. The small iron fence on the right saved me from falling and breaking every bone in my body. Yet another save.

1 comment:

Oleke said...

Way to go bro, I think it was the right thing to do as well. Our Gods are all different and uniquely mean something else and on different levles to the individual, mine from yours, e!'s from mine, and in the future maybe my childrens from everyone elses. A description of God's love for us as individuals is... individual in itself. -Me doest thinketh