Saturday, May 22, 2010

The High Priestess, a card from the Joe Tarot

They say that behind every great man is a great women, and it's true. I know because I am in fact a great man, and that's only because of the great woman beside me. My High Priestess.

I met her the day I drove into town, and we've been together ever since. We were both single parents, who divorced our previous spouses for behaviors too gruesome to mention here.

She was and is strong, independent and above all an amazing mother. When I met her I had an antique cell phone which I kept in my glove box in the rare event I needed to make a call. She sent me my first text massage ever, I didn't even know what a text message was until then. We and technology have come a long was since then, a few months ago she bought me an iphone and we still text all the time.

When we first took over management of our care home, it had a very poor history and hadn't passed a inspection in many years, despite the excessive staff. We have been running this place for over five years now, just the two of us and we haven't missed a beat.

Working at home has many benefits, after being gone overseas for so long, it was nice to send my kids off to school, and be there when they got home. Not long after we got settled in, I told her that our lifestyle afforded us unique opportunities and so did our location. We live only a few blocks from the College of the Sequoias, and it would be a waste if we didn't take advantage of the blessings of opportunity which have been afforded to us.

She always talked about wanting to go to back to school, and about how much she would have loved to study Law. I told her that if she didn't go back to school next semester she would be suck at home, while I went. The next morning when the alarm woke us up to prepare breakfast for the house full of clients and kids, she said, "it's ok baby, you were up late last night, sleep in and I'll take care of breakfast."

And she did. Then she slipped out and went down the the college and enrolled herself, and I've been stuck at home while she went to college. Well perhaps "stuck" isnt an accurate depiction, after all if it wasn't for her I wouldn't have never done everything I have accomplished. If is wasn't for her, I wouldn't be able to volunteer at the prison at all, much less a full day every week.

We were Handfasted under the mulberry tree in our backyard. Our marriage was the first ritual anyone outside our family ever saw. And that ritual induced the curiosity and interest of many people, we began holding group circles, and later founded a Coven. That Coven developed into a tradition, a prison ministry and a very successful community organization. Mill Creek Church has been meeting at a local metaphysical store several times a month for over a year now, and last weeks ritual had such a large turn out that we ran out of chairs, we been blessed with the complications of accommodating fellowship.

But our success is not just gauged by the quantity of fellows, but the quality of fellowship. And we have found both. I have asserted my status as the Low Priest (the only one you'll ever meet). And the fellowship has asserted my wife's status as the High Priestess, a title she has repeatedly denies.

But if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck, then obviously its a High Priestess. I've seen her grow, I've seen her overcome obstacles both personal and professional, I've seen her attend to our Coven and "congregation" with compassion, consideration and commitment befitting such a title. There are those people who can be "challenging" to deal with, and as a person, you may not want them in your home. But as a Priestess, she couldn't in good conscious deny them religious services. she said that they, more than anyone, stand to benefit most from the Craft.

Spoken like a true Priestess.

If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be who I am today, and I really like me. I like to think I have had a huge influence on her, I would love to take responsibility and credit for all that she has accomplished, but I can't because, she did it all herself. And next week we will be celebrating that at her graduation party. She will be graduating from the College of the Sequoias with her Associates in Science, which includes certificates for Paralegal, Legal Secretary and Legal Clerk.

I am so proud of her...

They say that behind every great man is a great women, and it's true. I know because I am in fact a great man, and that's only because of the great woman beside me. My High Priestess.

6 comments:

Lavanah said...

Gods all bless you both. And, congratulations to her on her graduation.

Connie said...

What a beautiful post in honor of your wife :) Congrats to you both, for finding one another, and to her for her accomplishments at school!

Chas S. Clifton said...

Congratulations to your wife, and I'll remember the term "low priest"!

WitchDoctorJoe said...

Thanks guys!

@ Chas, yeah it was almost two years ago that I first proclaimed myself Low Priest.

http://witchdoctorjoe.blogspot.com/2008/08/hirophant.html

Anonymous said...

I was driving home afterwards,the boys and I noticed the gianormoose moon that was shining so brightly... I thought it can only be that magnificent for a reason, the great accomplishment, the conquerd edveavor of my hailed Papa Goddess!!

Anonymous said...

Also, it could only require a little over three years to complete.

Finding the right massage therapist can sometimes be a tough search.
Step 3: Determine the goal(s) you would like to achieve during each
session.
Review my site :: treating depression in dogs