Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Thousand Words



During my tour in Iraq I had several near death experiences. I don't make a habit of speaking much about such things, but when I do I have found it very hard to find the words to express myself adequately.

I came so close to being killed many times, although each occurred under different circumstances, they all invested me with an incredible yet indescribable sense of being.

Yesterday my Grandmother forwarded me an email with this picture and the following caption:


Look at the picture above and you can see where this driver broke through the guardrail, on the right side of the culvert,
where the people are standing on the road, pointing.

The pick-up was traveling about 75 mph from right to left when it crashed through the guardrail.

It flipped end-over-end, bounced off and across the culvert outlet and landed right side up on the left side of the culvert, facing the opposite direction from which the driver was traveling.


The 22-year-old driver and his 18-year-old passenger were unhurt except for minor cuts and bruises.


Now look at the second picture below...




Yeah... it's like that.

Thank you Lord and Lady, thank you.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Wow...that's about all I can say. If anyone has a reason to feel particularly blessed and grateful for every moment of life from this moment on...it is the two people in that vehicle.

What I have always been impressed by is how a brush with one's mortality can sweep aside, as if inconsequential, all of the petty, neurotic patterns we live with every day.

Perhaps, if there is a purpose to such terrifying events, which I believe there is, then perhaps it is to show us that if we can transcend our smallness after facing death, the option to do this is always there. If one can embrace life with love and gratitude after brushing shoulders with the afterlife, then one can do it at anytime.

It's a choice.

Lord and Lady help me to remember this every day, that how I choose to embrace or reject life and love is a choice.

Fiona said...

I don't follow the wiccan tradition. However I found your blog very interesting and informative.