Thursday, November 18, 2010

The CNN of Paganism












I had what I consider the privilege of being raised Pagan, and very early on I came to the conclusion that we were the only ones.

Thankfully, I was wrong.

A few weeks ago in Circle I commented on how much the Pagan community has grown. I've gone from being "alone," to being part of an entire cultural/religious movement. Growing up I could count the number of Pagans I know on one hand, and so much has changed since then.

I realized that I can count the number of non-Pagan friends I know on one hand, and how different the world has changed for me, and us. The most prevailing evidence of this can be found in "our" media.

I spend my spare time reading Pagan magazines like Pan Gaia, New Witch and now Witches and Pagans, listening to Pagan Radio shows like Pagans Tonight and Hex Education, or The Pagan Radio Network which is owned and operated here in my town by my good friend Lew. And every weekend I look forward to the new release of articles on Witchvox, which connects Pagans on a global level and gives Pagans around the world a voice.

We have developed ourselves in nearly every aspect of media, and I for one love and appreciate this facet of living the Pagan life. But by far my favorite is The Wild Hunt. I have said it many times and will continue to say it: It is the pinnacle of professional Pagan journalism. It is the CNN of Paganism. Jason provides an invaluable resource to our community, and as a community we have an obligation to support and sustain these resources if we have any hopes for the future of Paganism.

Last year I donated to The Wild Hunt Pledge Drive, and challenged my readers to do the same. This year I have upped the ante and and my organization has the honor of becoming and affiliate underwriter for The Wild Hunt. Again I challenge you to do the same, make a donation, support a valuable member of our community, support the the invaluable service he provides to us all.

The Magical world of Paganism is diverse, and we don't always get along very well. But there are a few critical points of common ground we all share despite our differences, and The Wild Hunt is one of them. Think of it as the Pagan Lent, and skip Starbucks for a week and send that money to Jason, he's earned it.

Blessed Be.

1 comment:

Pallas Renatus said...

Normally I'm adverse to "pagan news" sites, which in my experience tend to be platforms for spreading the owner's worldview or political position. The Wild Hunt really surprised me, though, and I've been enjoying it immensely since I stumbled across it. They're definitely deserving of any donations that come their way.