Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Power of Three


Sorry about the kitschy Charmed cliche, but I admit it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I love that show, in its proper perspective. I always mention it in my annual lecture at Fresno State University to put things in proper perspective for the "uninitiated." I tell students that "Charmed" is to Witches, what "Star Trek" is to Scientists.

For a few hundred years we've had a pretty negative stereotype, but that tends to happen when everything written on the subject is the product of those who venomously oppose and your existence. I remember reading somewhere that Gerald Gardner's book Witchcraft Today was the first or one of the first books written about Witchcraft BY a practitioner. That really wasn't that long ago.

When I was growing up there were actually several books on Witchcraft in the local library, each of them graphically depicted Witches kissing the devils ass, having sex with goats and boiling infants for their baby fat, which apparently is the main ingredient in Flying Ointment.

But Look how far we've come in such a short time. I saw on Facebook today that my friends book shelf completely fell apart for the weight of her books. I'm very confident in my speculation that they were all Witchcraft, Hoodoo, and an Alchemy book I'm going to want back someday.

I believe that this years Central Valley Pagan Pride Day was definitely an accurate temperature gauge for the State of Our Union here in the central valley. Earlier this year I spoke at the Convention on Current Pagan Studies, the theme was sustaining Pagan communities and it was an invaluable experience. I came back rejuvenated and inspired by the spirit of the event. (I'm an Aquarius so that's not hard to do.) That's when I first got the idea for Central Vally Solstice. My idea was for an event something like PPD, but not. Geared more towards a huge multiple Pagan community interfaith ritual, a Mid-Summer Mega Festival Extravaganza!

A few months later my friend Audra at St. Brigid's Academy started the groundwork for Fresno Pagan Pride and I jumped on the bandwagon. We spoke about our ideas and plans, I got peanut butter all over her chocolate, and Fresno Pagan Pride became Central Valley Pagan Pride.

It only takes a single grain of rice to tip the scale.

I am happy to say the event was a huge success, largely due to the abundance of organizational skills. The core of the event was the unification of the Fresno, Visalia and Bakersfield Pagan communities and their organizers, I have no doubt this solidified the event and attracted participants from the Bay area as well as LA. It was an awesome day, we all had a blast and our booth made enough money to fund our seminary's prison ministry program through to Imbolc.

I was honored to share my booth with Crystal Blanton, who gave a great workshop of Witchwars and kept it real. She wrote about CVPP here and here for the PNC, and The Provocation did a nice piece here as well.

The spirit and success of CVPP has promoted new growth towards a real grassroots movement here in our valley, and the Power of Three is looking to tip the scales again soon.

Thank you Lord and Lady for letting me be a grain of rice, please let me do it again. Blessed Be.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Congrats! It sounds like you were very successful :)