Friday, January 20, 2012

B is for Biopsy

One of the fives virtues of our tradition is intuition. Something that I have always felt lacked emphasis in much of modern Witchcraft. I consider myself a hereditary Witch because I was blessed to have been raised by a very gifted one. I was raised in an environment where meditation, creative visualization, astral projection and intuition where highly valued spiritual practices.

If you look at it from the Nature Vs. Nurture view, I believe intuition to be part of natural human potential, we're all born with the seeds, it's just a matter of whether or not those seeds are watered. If you grow up in an environment where those concepts are a product of the devil they lay dormant and perhaps wither away with time. But if you are raised in an environment like I did, those seeds can be watered and nurtured to unknown potential.

One of the mysteries of our tradition is the Susurri, which is Latin for whisper. It's a mystery because we recognize its presence, yet don't completely understand how it works. Just like the Deja Vu, we recognize it when we experience it, and if you have, it's often difficult to express or explain it, that's why they gave it a name. And that's why we have given the Whisper a name.

Ever have someone pop into your head just before the phone rings? Or have a need or action occur to you, which you ignore only find out later, you should have. One of the most difficult things about a Susurri is recognizing it for what it is. One of the red flags is a stray thought that pops up while you're actively engaged in something else. Those are the best. If you find your self arguing with it, don't, its a Susurri, an incoming message from the Big Giant Head.

Like Deja Vu, the Whisper has always been a commonly understood thing in my family, we grew up with it, its normal. At critical times it has changed the course of my life, and while in Iraq, it saved my life as well as others. But my wife is Mexican, therefore she was born Catholic and raised in an environment where everything was the devil. So she could never acknowledge those those alternative spiritual practices she had always been drawn to. Sound familiar? But the natural potential was there and the force has always been strong in her family, they just don't seem to know it.

A few weeks ago my wife received a Susurri and tried to ignore it. But it wouldn't go away and she found herself arguing with it. She mentioned to me that the whisper in her ear told her to go get a pap smear, which was something she really didn't want to do. I told her not to argue with it, and that the fact that she was arguing with it only confirmed that it was important. So she made the appointment and went.

We received the call early one morning about two weeks later, asking her to come in that day. The doctor explained that they had identified some bad cells and needed to do a biopsy. This past Monday we returned to hear the results of the biopsy and the doctor explained that pre-cancer cells have a number system of 1-3, four being cancer.

My wife is at stage three.

The doctor said she's very lucky that we caught it in time and that after the scheduled procedure she will be just fine. After I threw up I went and bought a pack of cigarettes, it's an old habit I enjoy from time to time while in places like Iraq and the doctors office. I admit I find it humorously ironic that I'm smoking tobacco to deal with the possibility of my wife having cancer, but we humans are weird and stupid like that and I look forward to quitting very soon.

She reluctantly posted the news on her Facebook status and people started talking. Many friends came out of the woodwork to share their stories, to confirm that the procedure is very successful and that she will be ok. It also seems to have raised awareness as her friends are now talking to their friends and relatives and some of them are now making appointments to get their paps done.

Thank you Lord and Lady for the Whisper.

Blessed Be.


9 comments:

Christopher DeGraffenreid said...

Excellent post. I am very sorry to hear about your wife. She'll be in my prayers.

AstraeaSapphire said...

My mom went through this about 15 years ago, in her mid-30s. Since its not cancer yet, I am sure your wife will be just fine! Regardless, I will be sending positive thoughts your way.

rox said...

Oh I do hope Your wife will heal now !
I'm sorry she grew up with that kind of catholic ! I grew up with the opposite mostly aboriginal but old old great grandparents , aunties etc. being catholic . very much the tea leaf reading the wind blowing from the south means the spirts are stiring the north change is coming . flies buzzing a storm is on its way and most catholics do beleive in signs and locutions I have forewarning just like my greatgrandmother and I don't think it has to do with being catholic or pagan just accepting it is a part of who I am ☺
even secular society tells us to use out instinct not to ignore it like police tell us if we have a gut feeing about someone lurkin round a park watching kids perhaps , trust that gut ! but of course because the world is much more full of skeptics than those who trust instinct it even leads us into doubt at times. I know where I feel fine within my relations and friends to be open who I am it is another thing when out in other social settings .
wow again I'm so glad You posted this ! and really hope all goes well for Your family ♥

Yeshe Rabbit said...

Really very good post. Your wife will be totally fine. I had this, too, well over ten years ago. Today, healthy and fine! I will happily place her on my healing altar.

Sending you strength. I used to smoke, too. Stopped after my cancer scare. Go figure, I quit cancer, THEN I quit smoking! Might have been a good idea if I had done it the other way around :)

Bless you,
Rabbit

Yeshe Rabbit said...

Great post, and I send all love and healing to you and your wife. I survived this as well, and I feel sure that she will be fine! Ten years later, it's barely a blip on my radar anymore.

I used to smoke, too. I quit after my cancer scare. Quitting cancer and quitting smoking seemed to go hand in hand :)

Rose Weaver said...

I'm also one who has learned (and is still learning) to listen to these Whispers, and I'm so very glad you told your wife to listen to hers! When I was in my late 20's, I had stage 3 cancerous cells which were removed in a series of biopsies. I can assure you and your wife all will be well. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Gordon said...

Very honest and heartfelt post. Thank you for this.

I'm sure you guys will get through this. How do I know? My word verification is 'diana'. No shit! I screengrabbed it and everything. :)

Connie said...

oh! Scary! I am so glad your wife listened to that little whisper! Modern medicine is a miracle in action... I don't care what the gripers say... esp. when problems are detected and dealt with with no delay :) I will keep your wife in my prayers for healing and easy treatments, and you for strength, so you will be able to support her and keep yourself going at the same time!

Pax / Geoffrey said...

May the Holy Powers of Healing Bless her and keep her.

Holding you and yours in my thoughts and prayers today.

Peace,
Pax