Friday, June 8, 2012

L is for Scala

Sorry; but I can never resist the temptation of using a Non Sequitur type title because the type of people who enjoy my style of writing cannot resist the temptation of finding out why I used one. L is actually for Ladder, as in "Witch's Ladder." But as always in our tradition, we like to (a) be unique (b) do our own original work and (c) be able to tie it all into a nice bow in the end, so here goes.

"Scala" is Latin (of course) for ladder, and we use the word to identify a Mill Creek Witches Ladder. For those who may not know much about the subject you can always count on Wikipedia to give you the gist of it here, which includes a cool picture. I have stolen the rope from that picture and modified it in order to clearly illustrate my own Scala because I'm not really comfortable posting pictures of it on the Internet. But I will tell you all about it!

First, it measures from my head to my heel. It's actually a bit longer than that, but there are knots to indicate the limits of my length. The excess at top end was braided into a hanging loop. The rope is three-strand braid of old manila rope, which seems to work the best, as well as being aesthetically pleasing. The rope is emblematic of a telluric current, each of the three strands represent the three vertical columns or modalities of geomantic figures.

Their are six antique keys affixed along the Scala, each one corresponds to a particular step on the Cosmology Ladder of our God Map. And the five main feathers mark the Five Labors of our Tradition. These two elements align very nicely to display a clear model of theology. For example, the observation feather falls between A. Mundi and G. Loci, which is where I center nearly all of my observances. Again, the feather of divination falls between G. Loci and L. Domestici which is where the majority of my divination is focused.

The space between these feathers and keys is filled with all manner of spellcraft fetishes, prayer ties, amulets, medicine bundles and more. I have even braided in bristles from the Besom my Mom bought me in Salem. Just beneath the observation feather I attached my old Pace Count Beads, I used them to pass the land navigation course when I was is PDLC (primary leadership development course aka sergeant school). Now I use the them to keep track of the days as we go through the moon phases, i.e. observation.

Thank you Lord & Lady for the Inclination. Blessed Be

No comments: